Unfortunately burglary is becoming more and more common, but you may not take it very seriously until it happens to you.
For your convenience, we’ve put together a list of security tips to help you secure your home or business and reduce the opportunity for would be burglars.
Don’t become a victim before you decide to take action, securing your home or workplace is easier than you think with these simple and helpful tips…
- Install a peep hole so you can be aware of who is at your door.
- Secure all external doors to your home with deadlocks and ensure all doors are solid core doors.
- Lock windows with key operated window locks, including windows on upper levels. Don’t think just because you’re not on the ground floor that you are safe!
- Synchronise door locks: install the same key-operated lock system on all doors to ensure locking up is quick and easy.
- Install a safe for valuables (jewellery, cheques, cash).
- Make sure the gates to your home or business are secured with bolt cutter resistant chains and padlocks.
- Install sensor spotlights on the entrance to your home or business.
- Ensure you lock all doors and windows prior to leaving the premises.
- Ensure you lock side gates, garden sheds and garage or carpark entrances.
- Do not hide keys in obvious locations, i.e. under a mat, under a flowerpot, on a ledge.
- Get a guard dog. Even if you do not own a dog consider hanging a “beware of dog” sign to deter would-be prowlers.
- Lock your meter box to prevent thieves interfering with your power supply.
- If the premises is going to be vacant for some time, consider getting a neighbour or friend to collect the mail, switch on lights and if it is for an extended period of time mow the lawn to look like someone is home.